Pages

Thursday, 20 June 2013

Ciara got a Job!


Lausanne or London?
After more tears and fits of despair than I'd like to admit to, I have a job. As it tends to go, it was all a bit of a whirlwind in the end, with two offers on the table and big decisions to be made.

After months of hearing nothing but rejection, I finally got an offer in Switzerland, in the beautiful city of Lausanne. It was for an editorial internship at an open access scientific journal, exactly the field I want to move into. There was a shit-load of work to do for the application. Blog posts, essays, company history questionnaires etc. Then came the SKYPE interviews and finally an offer on a Thursday.
The thing was, I had just been asked to write a piece as part of the selection process for a better position in London and submitted it the same day. I was pretty pleased with it and felt hopeful I would hear more.
Also I had my reservations about the Swiss job. It was sounding more administrative and less editorial the more I heard about it. Not to mention that I would be leaving Che behind for 6-12 months with very occasional visits. Or the fianancial side of things. So I initially accepted the offer from Switzerland, all the while hoping that London would make a decision before it was time for me to sign contracts and board a plane.

Luckily London was moving pretty quickly and they phoned me the following Monday with a choice of interview dates of either the next day, the Wednesday or Friday. So off I headed off to London for my interview.
This actually involved two interviews with 6 different people and 2 written tests. It felt really strange sitting down to written tests with an actual pencil and rubber. I naively thought I'd never have to sit an exam again after I finished my undergrad degree 10 years ago!
Speaking to the people there I was getting the impression that this position was going to be way too much of a leap for someone without experience in the industry like me. So I figured I would not get it and debated asking them for an internship even though none were advertised.

Stressing about how much money my day in London for a "pointless" interview cost, I resigned myself to either having to go to Switzerland or be back to square one. My email arrived the following Monday saying I didn't get the position I interviewed for in London, but that they were so impressed by me that they would like to offer me an internship.

I very gladly accepted and now we are off to London! I feel so much better about this. It would have been seriously stressful to take that job knowing I don't have the necessary skills or experience just yet. I've spent enough of my life second guessing my abilities without trying to wing something like that.
The PhD to internship route was how all the other editors I met had gotten their jobs there. I was also told that they needed someone with my background, so I am super excited to get the necessary training to take my place as evolutionary biology editor when the time comes. If it doesn't pan out that way I will have gotten some really valuable experience in my chosen field that will help me get in somewhere else.

So yeah - big changes afoot. The logistics of moving across the country, Che transferring at work, finding somewhere to live etc. are all a bit of a hassle but it's exciting to be moving to the next phase of our lives together.

We have a "Before Sunrise" style goodbye walking tour of Bath planned for this weekend. It's going to be sad saying goodbye to this beautiful city where we met, fell in love and married.


4 comments:

  1. Congratulations from the bottom of my heart Ciara! Delighted for you. The universe works in mysterious ways.. your life is all change at the moment! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neala :) Yeah it's all go alright. Weirdly I will actually be closer to home in London than Bath because flights are so much more frequent, convenient and cheaper. Another plus!

      Delete
  2. So excited for you! Congratulations a million times! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caitlin! I'm all abuzz these days. I feel like a weight has been lifted and it's great.

      Delete